Monday, March 14, 2011

Home Art Studio Space


Creating a home art studio from home can be a challenge - especially if you don't have the space. However, if you do have the space, then with a little creativity you can go a long way.

For the most part, the most commonly used spaces for an art studio would be the bedroom, the study, or the garage. I, in my case, have tried all spaces. I've transitioned from the garage, to the bedroom, the study area and then to the garage.

Your choice of space will be dependent upon two factors. The first one would be availability of space and the second to consider will be your style of creating art.

Obviously, before you set up your art studio you need to see if that space is available in terms of space. For example, before I used my bedroom as a studio, I had to create space for my desk, easel, and artwork.

What I did was to move and organize many of the things that occupied the bedroom. I set about organizing things, getting rid of the junk we didn't need and putting certain items in the garage or available closet spaces in the house.

Organizing the garage can be a bit challenging since generally most people store an enormous amount of things in their garage. To organize my garage, I set up metal shelves on the garage walls and bought large plastic containers to place many of the contents in the garage. Then I placed the containers on the wall shelves giving me plenty of room for my art studio.

Your style of work will also determine where you need to place your home art studio. For example, are you, a messy painter or a neat freak that needs everything organized? If you're a compulsive about cleanliness then chances are that you will need to set up your home art studio in an available bedroom.

Being a raw artist I use lots of paints and materials. Therefore, I need to have my home art studio in the garage. One word of caution, though, if you do plan to set up your art studio in the garage then be prepared for a lot of outside debris to enter your garage. If you're not crazy about constantly cleaning chances are a bedroom or study space is best for you.

Whatever you decide to choose, remember that it's all about creating art and no amount of space or lack there of, should prevent you from creating what you passionately feel inside.

No comments: